Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Random Penguin

Penguins

Okay, now I've done it. I've included a random penguin and a crocheted chicken suit in my Nanomuddle.

I was doing so well the first eight days then I ran out of plot. It's been an uphill struggle since then and I'm getting desperate.

Oddly enough, I kind of expected this. I know that I always get to a stage where I have nothing left to write and have to pull ideas out of the air. I was hoping that inspiration would hit and that something good would arise out of the randomness, as happened to Erin Morganstern with The Night Circus.

I obviously thought about that too much because I ended up with a travelling circus in my story.

And although I'm not writing fanfiction, I'm sure my debt to Star Trek, Dr Who and Lexi Revellian is showing.

I'm also collecting characters as I go along. At this rate I'll have a cast of thousands which is not easy when you're trying to work out who should be talking in a scene.

Still, it beats worrying about what we're going to do for Christmas.

10 COMMENTS:

Lexi said...

I'm extremely flattered to be an influence! I think running out of plot is normal when you're rushing - been there, done that myself. Just breathe slowly and don't let it get to you.

(Is the random penguin a veiled reference to the take-over of Penguin by Random House?)

fairyhedgehog said...

Lexi, put it this way, the takeover of Penguin by Random House was "one of my influences".

Oh, and I can't get Ice Diaries out of my head. That is one amazing book.

MorningAJ said...

Not knowing what your book is about, it's hard to offer any assistance. So how about if I offer you some 'random' words that might send you off on a tangent?

Well there's a start: tangent.
paperclip
baseball bat
2.13 am
police siren
soda siphon.

Enjoy!

fairyhedgehog said...

Thank you, MAJ! I'm sure those words will be invaluable. Tangents are what I seem to be good at!

Simon Kewin said...

Sounds interesting! I suspect the random penguin is behind the whole plot...

fairyhedgehog said...

Simon, I fear you may be right!

Stacy said...

Keep it up, Fairy! You're close!

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, stacy! Only 7k to go now.

D..J. Kirkby said...

At least you're writing though! And, I'm really intrigued after reading this post so that's two good things, right? My NaNo this year has been a total flop which, really, I should have expected as I knew I was having major surgery on the 19th....lalala, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

fairyhedgehog said...

DJK, I think that major surgery is more of a reason than an excuse! I hope you're recovering well.

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...