Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Banned Books

When I was a kid, I read Lady Chatterley's Lover. Well, not all of it. Just the 'dirty bits'. I wasn't particularly impressed and it didn't inspire in me a life-long love of D.H. Lawrence.

I think it illustrates a point though. People are more interested in works that are forbidden. So when something is censored it becomes more desirable.

Does that mean that we should forbid anyone under 18 to read Shakespeare, on the basis that we'll have hosts of youngsters with fake IDs trying to get hold of plays by the bard? Maybe not, although the idea has a certain appeal.

2 COMMENTS:

Ian said...

I'm writing a book right now which I hope will get a fatwa issued against me, as well as get me placed on Homeland Security's watchlist.

There's no such thing as bad publicity as a writer. Heck, some of them have even survived the plagiarism charges.

Ian

fairyhedgehog said...

A fatwa does seem a little extreme. Are you publishing under a pen-name or will you have to go into hiding for protection?

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...