Tuesday, July 27, 2010

New Shoes

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies had an intriguing writing prompt over at Who Said Pixies Are Rational Creatures? We were invited to write 100 words  or less on the picture of pretty pink shoes. It was meant to be called "If a pixie's shoes could talk" but I rather went off-message. This is what I wrote:
New Shoes
So pink. So pretty. So demure. Lucy looked at her new shoes and smiled.
They reminded her of dancing class. Always at the back, never quite keeping up, and suffering the frowns and sighs of the other parents when they came to pick their children up but she'd loved it for the colours and textures of the costumes.
Now her gawkiness had gone. White lace outlined rounded calves and her hands on her satin bodice slid over curves. 
Once the surgery was over no one would ever call her "Craig" again.
Someone at WriteWords suggested that I could have submitted to EveryDay Fiction if it hadn't appeared on a blog. I'm still not getting my head round the idea of submitting stories, even though I've started doing it.

By the way, Sha'el's blog is worth a visit. It has amazing vintage photos, articles on research, and pixies. Why not take a look?

15 COMMENTS:

Kate said...

This is FANTASTIC! I love it!

Old Kitty said...

Brilliant!! I love the twist at the end - loved it!!

So you should submit your stories - this one especially!!

Well done you!

Take care
x

fairyhedgehog said...

Kate and Kitty, you're both so kind! Thank you!

Simon Kewin said...

That's a lovely story : intriguing and sensuous. You should definitely submit it! Some magazines will accept submissions if you've just posted it previously on your blog. Maybe see what Duotrope can find for you?

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, Simon. That's a nice thought. I've been going through Duotrope looking for flash fiction markets but I didn't think of seeing if this one could go somewhere.

A said...

That really made me smile, I love it :)

fairyhedgehog said...

Thank you, Silentvoice!

nitebyrd said...

Well done! Didn't expect THAT ending! LOL

fairyhedgehog said...

Thanks, nitebyrd!

Whirlochre said...

If ever I should find myself stranded without sustenance in an airless desert — oh, oh, oh for a 2lb lump of Port Salut wrapped neatly in spangly stockings thus,

fairyhedgehog said...

Whirl, are spangly stockings the next step up then from stripey socks? I can't wait.

RVA_Grandpa said...

As Sha'el's most avid (or is it rabid?) fan. I agree. Come over and read her blog. And comment. She loves comments.

PS thanks for the comment about my entry. I cheated with 150+ words. I've got to work on that.

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi Harry, nice to see you over here from Sha'el's!

I liked your story and I didn't spot that you'd gone over the word limit.

I do enjoy her blog but I don't always have anything to say.

Aging Ophelia said...

Hilarious!

fairyhedgehog said...

Thank you, hh!

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...