Sunday, July 06, 2008

The Cure for Procrastination

An Amazing Mind has an interesting cure for procrastination: you find something less important but that you really don't want to do and you set that as your task. Then when you're procrastinating about that job and fiddling around finding other stuff to do the main chore that you've been putting off will become something to do instead of the prescribed task. Does that make sense? If not, it's worth giving the article a look.

I'm wondering if it will work, because at the moment I'm putting off writing any more of my story. Instead of writing I've just made a dolly bag for a wedding I'm going to. Next I really need to take in the top of the dress I'll be wearing to make it fit a bit better. After that, I think I've got some mending needs doing. Oh, and I must take some more pictures of the kittens.

Writing is top of my avoiding list. So I wonder what I can try to avoid instead? It used to be housework but now we have a kind lady who comes in and does the bulk of that for me. It had better not be cooking the dinner or my poor long-suffering husband will complain. Any ideas anyone?

6 COMMENTS:

Natalie Whipple said...

I'm putting off getting skinny. Writing is much more fun. Of course, you have to have a few pounds to lose for that to work.

fairyhedgehog said...

From your picture, I don't quite see how that would work for you as you don't seem to have a single pound to lose. But I'm not knocking it: if it works, go for it!

Stacy said...

Hmm. I've never tried this method.

Let us know whether it works, FHH. (I hope you don't mind my initializing your name.)

I might try this later. Heh.

fairyhedgehog said...

OK, freddie, I'll let you know.

I'm happy with FHH or FH. I used to write my name Fairy Hedgehog but I got lazy.

Sylvia said...

One thing I've done is writing projects that are really different. So if you have a fiction novel, look at doing autobiographical essays with a deadline and the fiction will look like a relief.

Filing is the other one.

Like natalie, I've put off getting skinny but I'm not sure that helps me write more ;)

fairyhedgehog said...

Oh not filing. Yes, I think if I gave myself filing as an alternative I would definitely find time to write!

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...