Thursday, May 08, 2008

Favourite words

One of my sons' favourite words when they were younger was "defenestrate". I think it fascinated them that there was a specific word for throwing someone out of a window. I do wonder when the action would have been common enough to need its own specific word.

They also liked "troglodyte", which is what I called them when they wanted to hide in the house playing computer games in the semi-darkness, instead of getting out into the good fresh air.

I like the word "iridescent", although I admit I had to look up the spelling. I like the way it sounds and the effect that it describes. "Deliquescent" and "incandescent" appeal to me too, for some reason. I don't think it's the ending "escent", after all the word "descent" doesn't particularly appeal to me.

I wonder what other people's favourite words are.

3 COMMENTS:

Kiersten White said...

I've always been a fan of fustigate. It means to beat with a stick. It's not the imagry I like, it's just the word.

fairyhedgehog said...

Hi Kiersten! Fustigate is a good word and not one that I knew. I'd have guessed it meant "to make fusty". It sounds like old, unaired rooms and frumpy people.

Nice one!

Kiersten White said...

That's part of its appeal--it doesn't sound violent in the slightest. Words are wonderful things!

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...