Thursday, March 27, 2008

Operatic interlude


Tomorrow is my husband's birthday and we're going to see Carmen. I saw my first live opera when I was in Venice a couple of years ago. It was in a hall the size of a school gym and we sat on uncomfortable folding chairs. The cast of six was wonderful and there was an intimacy that you just don't get in a bigger theatre. I was hooked.

We saw Carmen at the ENO more recently and I was deeply disappointed. It was staged for an audience of aficionados who did not need to be able to follow the plot. I only found out what was happening when I got home and read up about it. I'm hoping that tomorrow's performance at Covent Garden will have all the colour and passion that I'd expect.

We're going with friends that we haven't seen for a long time and they're arriving during the day tomorrow. So I'm not expecting to be posting. Don't go away, though, because I'll be back.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

The comments are the best part of this blog, so please do join in.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...